Friday, January 4, 2008

Tailpipe body mod

I wanted to improve the realism of the body, and had seen a number of plastic fake exhaust tailpipes on eBay, but $15 or so dollars (delivered) had put me off.

So, when I was in the local hobby shop (Wings over the Downs) and saw some small aluminium tubing, I realised there was a cheap way to achieve the desired look.

The tubing I selected is K & S brand, size "9/32 x .014", in a 3o cm length for $3. It represents a 1:1 scale of approx 2.5" diameter pipe, which really isn't "phat" enough for a drift machine, but I don't remember seeing anything larger. So, I decided to make a twin outlet, cutting off two pieces about 15mm long, from each end of the length so I had one clean edge on both.

The following photo shows the two pipes mounted, clean edge out. This was easier than expected, as the bottom face of the body stiffening foam I'd installed earlier happened to be at just the right height... I used '5 minute' liquid nails as the glue because it has a good instant grab but still allows some adjustment after placement. In retrospect, I could have been more carefull with initial placement, but it worked out OK in the end.



















A bit of black paint inside the tubes for added realism, and the result:

0 comments: